At St Anselm's, we have developed a cross-curricular approach to English that is carefully matched to the new curriculum. We aim to offer our children the very best chance of success by teaching them to become fluent readers, confident speakers, willing writers and accurate spellers.
At St Anselm’s, English is delivered in the following ways:
- Read Write Inc. Phonics is taught to children in Reception to Year 1 and for our children in Years 2 and 3 who need to catch up.
- Read Write Inc.Spelling is used to teach spelling for our children in Years 2 to 6.
- Grammar skills are taught to children from Year 1 to Year 6.
- Reading skills are taught in focused reading skills lessons which are supported by our Reading Superheroes.
- High quality texts chosen by the teacher are used to explore and practise reading skills and inspire quality fiction and non-fiction writing.
- Non-Fiction units are taught using a non-fiction framework to ensure that skills are built up throughout all year groups.
All children have individual reading books which are graded by difficulty using reading levels known as Book Bands. MyBookBlog is used to further reading opportunities in Key Stage 2.