Read Write Inc Phonics is a method of teaching reading which is centred around learning the sounds of the letters (phonics), and then blending them together to read words. The children also learn to break down words into individual sounds in order to write them.
How it works
- The children are assessed and grouped according to their ability.
- They work daily for one hour in small groups with a teacher or a teaching assistant.
- At the end of each half term the children are assessed again to check they have made progress and will be grouped again.
- In addition to the Read Write Inc. programme the children will also be working on writing skills and storytelling in their classes with their own class teacher.
Using Read Write Inc. the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into understanding what they read.
When using Read Write Inc. to read the children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words by blending the sounds together
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learnt to sound out
- Show that they understand the stories by answering 'Find It' and 'Prove it' discussion questions.
Read Write Inc. allows the children to spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into working out what they want to write.
When using Read Write Inc. to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds (graphemes)
- Learn to write words by sounding them out and then writing the corresponding graphemes
- Learn to write simple and then increasingly complex sentences
- Compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
- Compose stories based on picture strips.
When using Read Write Inc. the children work in pairs to:
- Answer questions to practise every activity
- Take turns talking to each other
- Give positive praise to each other.